Tuesday, June 3

the ladies with glasses

Behind the curtain #5: conversation with two fashion art design bloggers from NYC.

Cup of Jo and Scout Holiday are two of my daily-must-read-blogs about art, design, style, fashion. Joanna Godard and Cheri Messerli are the two faces behind these blogs.
I really like the angle they seem to have. Poetic, never boring, always aspirational. And their picts are beautiful.
They unfortunately don't talk much about kids and I wanted to know why.

Funny enough, when I asked them to select a picture of their choice to illustrate this interview, they both picked up a self-portrait.

Joanna Goddard from Cup of Jo

Cheri Messerli from Scout Holiday

Why did you decide to write a blog?
Cup of Jo: I am a magazine writer and love love love fashion, art and design. I get really giddy and happy when I discover beautiful and creative and playful things and I always want to share them with people. So a blog seemed like a great outlet on which I could post and share all these fantastic dresses, rompers, shoes, shorts, bowties, wallpapers, etc etc... and hear everyone's reactions.
Scout Holiday: I started a blog to help me find freelance work, and since fashion is the industry I work in, and is something I love, it's the main focus of my blog, but I have so many other interests too, so I like to keep it interesting by posting about different things from any field that I find inspiring.

How would you define your style in 3 words, and in particular what's your standpoint on fashion?
CoJ: my style = clean, simple, playful
SC: progressiveness, sensitivity, imagination I don't know if that necessarily defines my viewpoint on fashion but those are sensibilities that I look for in it.

What do you hate in fashion?

CoJ: big icons and brand names on items of clothing -- like when louis vuitton bags have the logo plastered all over it, or a ralph lauren shirt will have a big logo that always seems materialistic and unoriginal. But everything else is cool with me -- i like when people have weird, crazy, nutty, even really basic, plain style -- if it's what they like, i'm down with it!
SC: over-hyped super glamorous excess.

Kids fashion: you don't talk much about it. Why?

CoJ: I don't have babies yet, so kids' fashion isn't really a part of my life yet and i think my readers would think i was weird if i posted about it a lot :) they already think i have a serious case of baby fever because i'm always talking about how much i want kids.
SC: I have posted a few things from Milk Magazine occasionally in the past, but I don't have kids so it's not very relevant to me at this point in my life.
http://scout-holiday.com/blog/?p=296
http://scout-holiday.com/blog/?p=141

What do you think of it?
CoJ
: i LOVE LOVE kids fashion. i think it's super cute and it makes my heart swell to picture a chubby little babe running around in it:) i especially love when kids' fashion looks just like adults' clothes, like this: http://joannagoddard.blogspot.com/2007/03/dottie-dress.html
SC: It's often very cute, and it's definitely a very big business right now.

What blogs do you read or know, even if only by name?
CoJ: a million billion trillion. :) i love blogs. some faves at the moment are frolic, black eiffel, lost, hoping for happy accidents, and oh happy day.
SC: So many! Too many to name them all but a few of my daily must reads are Paris Breakfasts, Style Bubble, Lá + Fine Little Day

Thanks Joanna and Cheri!

3 comments:

Joanna Goddard said...

thank you so much! it was fun to read scout-holiday's answers, too. i love her blog!

thanks for including me,
xo joanna

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for including me Sophie!
and thank you Joanna, your blog is one of my daily favorites.

*cheri

Anonymous said...

2 wonderful blogs, interesting, thanks!

 
/* Tracker Analytics ----------------------------------------------- */